xsl-list

Use predicates/patterns or xsl:choose (was:] Stylesheet optimisation)

2005-01-11 08:27:15
Hi again,
I was reading up all stuff about optimizing the performance of xslt. One basic
advice I found is:

        "Avoid complex patterns in template rules. Instead, use <xsl:choose>
within the rule."

        (Mike Kay at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect4/N9883.html#d12447e254)

This seems quite old (before July 2000), and I wondered if it is still true
with newer Saxon or Xalan versions.

I rather split complex templates in more than one and adjust the match patterns
accodingly to shorten and simplify the actual code inside the xsl:template. So
I try to avoid using xsl:choose or xsl:if areas as much as possible as they
make the stylesheet sometimes quite difficult to read and maintain.
And I was under the impression that splitting complex templates in easier ones
by making the match as precise as possible would also be quicker as I (naively)
thought the processor does something like a lookup table before actually
performing the transformation.

So, is it still better to avoid complex patterns or am I understanding the
advice in the wrong way?

Thanks a lot
Chris