xsl-list

RE: Multiple IDs

2005-01-10 12:37:22
See http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#unique-id

"If an XML processor reports two elements in a document as having the same
unique ID (which is possible only if the document is invalid) then the
second element in document order must be treated as not having a unique ID."

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Elliotte Harold [mailto:elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu]
Sent: 10 January 2005 19:20
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Multiple IDs

I could swear this came up somewhere recently, but right now I can't
find it. In XPath 1.0, what does the id() function do if there are
multiple elements in the document with the specified ID? (This is
possible, even though invalid.) Should it:

1. Report an error?
2. Return the first one in document order?
3. Return a node-set containing all of them?
4. Something else?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0596007647/cafeaulaitA/

--~--