xsl-list

Re: Converting wd-XSL to XSLT

2005-02-10 09:50:04
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:55:07 -0000, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
wrote:

xsl:script was used for embedding JavaScript. Because of the limitations of
the WD-xsl language and the inexperience of its users, WD-xsl stylesheets
often contain vast amounts of embedded script. You can reproduce this in
MSXML3 using <msxml:script> elements, but in most cases it would be much
better to translate it to native XSLT code.

The main thing I need the Javascript for is the formatting of dates.
The XML produced by our database expresses dates as milliseconds since
January 1, 1970.  The only formatting technique suggested by the
documentation for our database is to use Javascript's Date class.  If
there's a way to format these dates in native XSLT, or anything
besides embedding the Javascript into the code, I haven't found it
yet.

I've seen examples in this list's archives of using <msxml:script> to
embed Javascript, but I've had trouble adapting the examples I've seen
into my own XSL.

Jim Smith