xsl-list

RE: Converting wd-XSL to XSLT

2005-02-09 16:55:07
You've got a problem, because there's very little knowledge or documentation
around for WD-xsl, and what there is is fast disappearing. But you're
definitely taking the right approach.

xsl:eval IIRC often does the job that you would do in XSLT using
xsl:value-of, but it's certainly not a one-to-one mapping.

xsl:script was used for embedding JavaScript. Because of the limitations of
the WD-xsl language and the inexperience of its users, WD-xsl stylesheets
often contain vast amounts of embedded script. You can reproduce this in
MSXML3 using <msxml:script> elements, but in most cases it would be much
better to translate it to native XSLT code.

That's about all I can offer you really...

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Smith [mailto:jimsmith0(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 09 February 2005 22:59
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Converting wd-XSL to XSLT

I've recently begun a job that will require me to get the hang of XSL,
so I'm still a bit over my head.

I'm working with an online database which allows clients to get
information from tables in XML, and then create custom views with XSL.
 Before I was brought on, my co-workers, discovered a cache of XSL
stylesheets provided by database, and we've been tweaking those files
to suit our purposes.

The problem is that I've come to learn that all of these stylesheets
are in wd-XSL, which I presume is the reason they won't work in
Mozilla or Firefox.  I'd like to convert them, but I don't know how.
I've determined that the <xsl:eval> and <xsl:script> tags are
outdated, but I don't know what to replace them with.  I began to give
in to writing all future stylesheets in wd-XSL, but I quickly realized
that a lot of the code I've been learning from my XSLT books isn't
going to be backwards-compatible.  So it's looking like I only know
enough about each version to get nothing done with either of them.

I learned about a program for converting wd-XSL to XSLT, but the
resulting code didn't make a lot of sense.  I'd much rather learn how
to convert from one to the other by hand, so that I can get a feel for
the differences between them.  Can anyone help me?

Jim Smith

--~--