xsl-list

Re: Can I use a boolean variable in an xsl:if test

2005-02-08 14:35:50

I find that I stay out of hot water with xsl:value-of if I just remember
that it returns a string.

beware though that that will get you burned again when you start using
XSLT2 scented water.

xsl:value-of returns a text node with string value the string value of
the expression. This is subtly or not so subtly different from a string.
It doesn't make so much difference in XSLT1 as the only way to carry
strings around is to put them in text nodes, but in xpath2 you can have
sequences of strings and sequences of text nodes (and sequences that
contain both strings and text nodes) the rules for the two cases (and in
particular whether spaces are automatically inserted between adjacent
items) are different on the two cases.

David