xsl-list

Re: XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations

2005-02-07 11:06:23
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:23:40 +0100, Peter Gerstbach
<peter(_at_)gerstbach(_dot_)at> wrote:

But use case 3) has a problem: in my opinion XSLT is not really intended
to transform data-centric XML into a document-centric XML. Of course it
can be done, but the programming style is more imperative (for-each)
than template based (apply-template). There are a lot of tools, which
try to solve this data-document-transformation e.g. Altova StlyeVision
or StylusStudio XSLT Designer. But I think they don't succeed because
the generated code is mainly inside only one very big template with
imperative statements.

Peter,

    It seems to me that you are talking about the pull vs push style
of XSLT programming and in your use case #3, it is the "pull" style.
And, if I read you correctly, your uneasiness with this style is that
the tools are generating monlithic code. However, even in the pull
style, XSLT will allow a modular programming style by the use of
call-template . The fact that you dont get modular code is a problem
with the tools.

Regards,
Kenneth