xsl-list

RE: Matching text nodes with only whitespaces

2005-02-03 09:12:58

I am really sorry for all the troubles, but we had some
whitespace issues with XML Spy.... First I thought that my
normalizing stylesheet doesn't work properly, but fortunately
it does. There are interesting things going on, if you decide
to "pretty-print" your XML documents...

The problem with normalize-space was the following:
We first generated FO documents including nodes like
<marker> §§ 13 </maker>
These documents were pretty printed via XML Spy, so there was
whitespace
which we wanted to get rid off (since it was output in our
PDFs). If we would have used

<xsl:template match="text()">
      <xsl:value-of select=""normalize-space(.)"/>
</xsl:template>

we would have got
<marker>§§ 13<marker>

Or is my understanding of normalize-space incorrect?

Have a look at <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

This strips presentational whitespace (whitespace only text nodes) from the
source document, which I think is what you're after.

cheers
andrew