xsl-list

Re: xsl list item writes over the label?

2005-03-31 15:05:41
Thanks!  However, I think that I am using the wrong
sturcture b/c I am wanting the items to be right
justified.  So I might need to use a table instead.
What do you think?  Where is this Ken's Book?  Where
can I get a copy of it?

I am new to xsl and I am going to have to become very
familar with it so a book would be a good investment.

Thanks!
Josh

--- Eliot Kimber <ekimber(_at_)innodata-isogen(_dot_)com> wrote:
josh higgins wrote:
I am trying to use a list and the list-item is
writing
over the list-label.  Any ideas?

(I assume that in your real data the elements are
not actually empty but
nest.)

You have to set the end-indent of the list item
label and the
start-indent of the list item block so that they
don't overlap. It took
me forever to finally figure out this aspect of FO
(thanks to Ken's FO
book).

The trick is that you set the provisional label
length and label-to-body
gap on the list block and then use the "label-end()"
and "body-start()"
functions to calculate the necessary indents:

  <fo:list-block provisional-label-separation="4mm"
      provisional-distance-between-starts="20mm">
    <fo:list-item>
     <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
     </fo:list-item-label>
     <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
     </fo:list-item-body>
   </fo:list-block>

This creates a 20mm label "column" and reserves 4mm
gutter out of that 20mm.

Cheers,

Eliot

--