xsl-list

RE: Testing 2 XML documents for equality - a solution

2005-03-30 11:02:07
Hi Mike,
  Please read my response below your comments..

No, you need to sort on the attribute name. Two
attributes can have the same
value in which case their respective order is still
unpredictable.

Oh sorry! this was an oversight..

*I feel my stylesheet caters to a large subset of
Canonical XML definition (I guess about 70-90%).
Can
you please comment on my this claim? *

I've no idea what the claim means. Are you saying
that your algorithm will
give the same answer as a canonicalized comparison
70%-90% of the time? If
not, what are you saying?

Canonical XML spec defines certain rules to convert
original XML to canonical form. Canonical XML is a
better way to represent XML for comparison purpose..
It takes into account things like attribute ordering,
character encoding etc..
I meant that, if we assume 2 XML documents that are
being compared will have same character encoding and
some other subtle things are same(sorry I am not
deeply knowledgeable about canonical spec, so I cannot
express these subtle things; but I guess there are
number of such things) , then my algorithm will be
70-90% as reliable as canonical comparison ;)

Regards,
Mukul

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/