xsl-list

Re: "...how a few lines of XQuery can often do more than a large XSLT stylesheet."

2005-03-22 09:21:34
M.D.,

At 12:21 AM 3/22/2005, you wrote:
It seems that  this statement > "and how a few lines of
XQuery can often do more than a large XSLT stylesheet." is a tad shy
of what could be considered even close to realistic but before I find
myself at the top of somebody's else "hit list" I thought I would get
the opinions of the community.

Don't take the bait. It could be true, in one particular case they have in mind (or maybe they're comparing a good XQuery to a bad stylesheet :-), while other balancing complications might also be true:

* Sometimes the reverse might be the case: a stylesheet to do simply what a query can hardly do at all * Using XSLT 2.0, you'll be able to write either or both "XSLT-heavy" or "XPath-heavy" code, or both together (which is maybe both a problem and a blessing)

But what fun would that be? Marketing-speak frequently tries to cast things into presumed zero-sum, win/lose competitions, and doesn't know how to sell network effects. (XSLT *and* XQuery, whoa baby.)

It could be that this is just tease bait to use an exciting keyphrase
to lure in those who would otherwise not attend but thats only one,
very small possibility it would seem.

Yes exactly and why even speculate? A marketer has written something technically arguable, in an effort to lure customers. The author of the copy might not even have a firm grasp of the meaning of the nouns deployed. If I could have a nickel every time that happened, etc.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez