xsl-list

RE: xslt 2. Date arithmetic.

2005-03-02 01:32:25
Thanks Pieter, David, for the answers:

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Michael Kay

    The difference between two dates is a dayTimeDuration (if
    they're in the same timezone - the usual case - then it
    will be an integer number of days).

Great. No problem with that. Since the output is for humans
can I cast that to something sensible? I was trying to get
yearMonthDuration.

    Subtraction of dates to give a yearMonthDuration - the old
    subtractDateTimesYieldingYearMonthDuration - has been
    removed (as befits any function with such a ridiculous
    name) because it proved too difficult to specify it.

OK, but the functionality of that seems reasonable?

 For
    example, would you expect 2005-02-28 minus 2005-01-31 to be
    one month, on the basis that 2005-01-31 plus one month is
    2005-02-28? But surely the difference between these two
    dates is the same as 2004-02-28 minus 2004-01-31?

Subtle, but I can see the problem. How long is a month?

    Depending what you actually want to achieve, the best
    approach is probably to extract the year/month components
    (year-from-date(), month-from-date()) and manipulate the
    values yourself.

which matches DC's suggestion?

OK, I'll play with that.
Thanks Michael.