xsl-list

Re: I'm obviously doing something wrong

2005-04-27 13:12:08
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 JBryant(_at_)s-s-t(_dot_)com wrote:

First, you have a data issue: Regardless of indentation, the Topic and
Panel elements are siblings.

Good point, this was something I did change at some point because of
trying to solve other issues. I was trying to prototype the output of
something and ran into a rather frustrating series of problems, mostly
because I really don't understand the whole system terribly well.

You also have an FO problem: In your simple-page-master, you specify
regions but don't provide names.

Good catch, thanks.

Consequently, the regions will never be inserted into the document,
resulting in an empty document.

Which was the problem I was trying to solve much earlier, when I got into
a corner I couldn't get back out of. Thank you for the insight.

I'd also be surprised if you didn't get multiple error messages from
your processor. I suppose you're not getting to these errors because
the FO processor doesn't recognize the Topics node. As David Carlisle
pointed out, you need to transform with XSLT to get an FO document and
then use an FO processor construct your result document (PDF, I
suppose) from the FO document.

Weirdly (to me) when I actually uploaded it to a Unix host and tried it
from the command line, I got a workable document:

$ fop -xml Topics.xml -xsl mTopicsPanels.xsl Topics-2.pdf
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
[INFO] [1]
[WARNING] Some static content could not fit in the area.
[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

...which can be seen as http://deirdre.org/~deirdre/fop/Topics-2.pdf

I wasn't taking care to prevent the lopping off of the date, which is
what didn't fit.

Same toolchain as in oXygen, so I'm not sure why there's such radically
different results.

I have no idea what tools are in the Oxygen system, so I can't give more
specific advice. However, the general process should be the same
regardless of tools:
XML source + XSLT stylesheet + XSLT processor => XSL-FO document
XSL-FO document + XSL-FO processor => result document

All of that's in oXygen (Xerces-J, Xalan, Saxon (2 versions) FOP, etc.).

However, that said, apparently there are more issues with the environment
than I thought. Sigh. At least I can get a workable .fo to inspect, maybe
I'll just rely on it that far.

--
_Deirdre  web: http://deirdre.net        blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
yarn: http://fuzzyorange.com    cat's blog: http://fuzzyorange.com/vsd/