xsl-list

Re: Transforming XML Blockquotes - Mixed Content - XSLT 1.0 Solution

2005-04-20 14:34:35

In the example I just gave, I cannot insert the tags I need because they
don't then the start/end tags don't match.

XSLT provides almost no support for generating tags, and no access to
the tags in the source.  It is designed to map trees of nodes to trees
of nodes. If the final tree of nodes is serialised to a file then the
serialiser will generate tags to denote the element structure but this
is essentially a separate (and optional) process after the transform.
(A process that doesn't happen in mozilla for example as there the
in-memory result tree is passed straight to teh rendering engine without
being serialised.

If you think in terms of generating a tree of nodes then you will see
that it doesn't really make sence to talk of ending a node in one place
and starting one somewhere else. Note creation is an atomic
operation.

David