xsl-list

Re: Measuring the complexity of XSLT stylesheets

2005-04-17 18:21:08
You may also explore Saxon's Performance Analysis
features. It allows you to generate tabular HTML
report of stylesheet execution time.

Following is a description of "Saxon Performance
Analysis" from its documentation.

"The output identifies instructions in the original
stylesheet by their name, line number, and the last
few characters of the URI of their module. For each
instruction it gives the number of times the
instruction was executed, the average time in
milliseconds of each execution, and the total time.
The table is sorted according to a weighting function
that attempts to put the dominant instructions at the
top."

I have tried this feature and have found it quite
useful.

I believe comparing the performance analysis reports
of different XSLT transformations using Saxon, will
help you to compare the complexity of the
stylesheets..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Lars Marius Garshol <larsga(_at_)garshol(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no>
wrote:

I'm writing a paper where I'm evaluating different
XML vocabularies
for expressing the same information, and one of my
evaluation criteria
is how easily the resulting XML can be processed
with XSLT. At the
moment the paper contains only prose with a
subjective appraisal of
the various approaches. This is fine, as far as it
goes, but it would
be nice to have something more objective to back it
up with. Are there
any established criteria for evaluating the
complexity of XSLT
stylesheets?

There are some obvious criteria I could think of,
like:

 - size of stylesheet in bytes, lines, and XML
elements+attributes,

 - number of elements from the XSLT namespace, and

 - combined length (in characters) of XPath
expressions.

I think these criteria would work, but I'm not
convinced that they
really capture complexity directly. Can anyone
suggest better
alternatives?

--
Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian         <URL:
http://www.ontopia.net >

--~--