xsl-list

Re: how to translate XML with XHTML-formatted element to FO

2005-04-14 07:31:16

I remain puzzled over the idea that there are "escaped" HTML tags in
your input XML file. They appear as ordinary HTML tags in my email.

You are using an email program with unfortunate properties.

the email the original poster sent out contained:

{TITLE>@lt;b(_at_)gt;Donald Duck - @lt;i(_at_)gt;The True
Story(_at_)lt;/i(_at_)gt;
@lt;/b(_at_)gt;{/TITLE>
  {/BOOK>

except I have changed every < to { and every & to @ so that
over eager mail readers do not decide they know best and
think that because the content looked like html it _was_ html even
though the mime type is explictly set to text/plain.

It is your email _reader_ that is the problem, not the mail message
itself. It's because of these broken readers that we have to keep doing
sillyness like writing character referenences as " & # 1 6 0 ; " with
extra spaces to stop them being mis-interpreted.

David