xsl-list

RE: how to translate XML with XHTML-formatted element to FO

2005-04-12 11:33:15
You have shown us your input, now how about some idea of what the output should
be. I have read your post several times and I can't understand what problem you
are trying to solve.

It may be that you need to process the document in stages or you may need
advice on constructing a template. I just can't understand what you need using
the information you have given.
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email

-----Original Message-----
From:     Magic Finger <magic(_dot_)finger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
Sent:     Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:12:25 +0200
To:       <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Subject:  [xsl] how to translate XML with XHTML-formatted element to FO

Hello,

how can I translate XML files (like the following), which contain
XHTML-formatted text in one element, to PDF using Apache FOP ?

  --- books.xml --->
  <BOOK>
    <AUTHOR>Walt Disney</AUTHOR>
    <PRICE>19.90</PRICE>
</b></TITLE>
  </BOOK>

  <BOOK>
    <AUTHOR>Matt Groening</AUTHOR>
    <PRICE>25.00</PRICE>
    <TITLE><b>Homer Simpson For President</b></TITLE>
  </BOOK>
  <--- books.xml ---

I mean how should an appropriate XSL stylesheet be designed best to handle
straight forward FO formatting for <AUTHOR> and <PRICE> as well as for
additional transformation of XHTML-formatted <TITLE> ?

I just need some general ideas on how I can process XML files with
sub-structured (XHTML-formatted) elements by one (or more) XSL
stylesheet(s).

My problem is not to translate XHTML-formatted text to FO resp. PDF (for
this purpose I already have a working "xhtml-to-fo.xsl" stylesheet).
Rather I have no idea at the moment on how to integrate the existing
xhtml-to-fo.xsl code and templates into the main XSL stylesheet for
generating the FO output.

Currently I'm only able to translate content of <TITLE> element as plain
text to FO output, i.e. FO output for <TITLE> shows the tags <b>...</b> and
<i>...</i> as is, without applied bold and italic formatting on title text.

Any hints, tips or code fragments would be very much appreciated!

Best regards,
Maik

--~--