xsl-list

Transforming XML Blockquotes - Mixed Content

2005-04-12 12:54:48
I am having a lot of trouble transforming XML blockquotes that are structurally and grammatically correct (i.e, as child elements to a parent paragraph tag) into XHTML that will be displayed correctly by a browser. Because of two separate IE6 bugs that prevent a blockquote from being structured as the child of a paragraph, I pretty much need the XSL output to be

However, the XML is structured like this:

  yackity yack</p>

So, my first thought was to make a conditional statement that would do this but I am having a lot of trouble constructing it. I can not locate any information on a conditional statement that would test whether one element (p) with mixed conternt contained another element (blockquote). I also am having trouble with a way to split up the p tag's text into the pre-blockquote and post-blockquote strings. Even with the above problems, I haven't even touched on the problems that a paragraph with multiple blockquotes would cause.

Lastly, I realized that this all seems way too complicated just to correctly display a blockquote, so I am secretly hoping that I am way off base and that there is a simplier solution to this problem. What other ways of handling blockquotes have been used elsewhere?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Edward