xsl-list

Re: numbering/count()

2005-05-20 08:28:41
Bruce,

Since the behavior of xsl:number is dependent only on the context node, all you need to do in general is make sure the context node is correct (along with the instruction's count attribute and all that, of course); where in the stylesheet it appears doesn't matter.

In a function, I believe this means passing in your context node as a parameter and changing context to it explicitly before invoking xsl:number. Apart from that (note this is different from a named template, which keeps the context from which it's called), I don't see why it shouldn't work. And it's easy enough to test.

As far as a single encapsulated routine (irrespective of how it is implemented), we do that in XSLT 1.0 all the time with named templates, just in the way you're describing -- no problems there.

So, a tame goose.

Cheers,
Wendell

At 10:44 AM 5/20/2005, you wrote:
On 5/20/05, Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

> If you actually want footnotes along with citations that are not *inside*
> footnotes, that would be
>
>       <xsl:number level="any" count="db:footnote |
> db:citation[not(ancestor::db:footnote)]"/>
>
> Please forgive the intrusion if I've misconstrued what you're trying to do.

Yes, you've got it right again Wendell.  I actually meant to change
that, but got distracted with the bigger issue.

I'm now thinking I may have to do something like have a named template
called footcite that then gets called from both the db:footnote and
b:citation templates.  But I'm not sure how xsl:number would work in
that context.

It would be nice to get some feedback before I go off on a wild
goosechase though!  A function that could correctly count these
footnote/citations would be ideal.

Bruce

--~--

Wendell Piez