xsl-list

Re: Suppressing Newline Character

2005-05-16 04:15:17
Steve W wrote:

My XML (sometimes) looks like this :

<DATA>
abc
def
</DATA>

I need to transform this to some javascript on my html page that looks
something like :

jFunction('abcdef');

but I get

jFunction('abc&#xA;def');

which I appreciate is not surprising as there is a new line in my data.

What is the easiest way of detecting and removing the newline character when
I do the transform ?

use xslt translate()

<xsl:value-of select="translate(someelement,'&#xA;','')"/>

u could also use xsl:strip-space or the normalize-space() function as
well....

check out the following to get a better understanding of these
whitespace type issues

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/whitespace.html
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/whitespace.html

gl, Jim Fuller