xsl-list

Re: selecting unique entries from a list

2005-05-05 05:32:07
Please try this XSL..

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="html" />

<xsl:template match="/xml">
      <head>
        <title/>
      </head>
          <xsl:for-each
select="List/Entry/Department[not(. =
preceding::Department)]">
          </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

This is tested with IE 6 , and Saxon 6.5.3 .

Regards,
Mukul

--- "Hallas,M" <M(_dot_)Hallas(_at_)lse(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:
Dear all,

Hope you can help with this query. I am new to
XML/XSLT.

I need to take the following XML and generate an
initial web page displaying only one instance of
each department name.

<xml>
<List>
      <Entry>
              <Session>2004/5</Session>
              <Department>Accounting and Finance</Department>
      </Entry>
      <Entry>

              <Session>2004/5</Session>
              <Department>Accounting and Finance</Department>
      </Entry>
      <Entry>
              <Session>2004/5</Session>
              <Department>Maths</Department>
      </Entry>
      <Entry>
              <Session>2004/5</Session>
              <Department>Maths</Department>
      </Entry>
      <Entry>
              <Session>2004/5</Session>
              <Department>Economic History</Department>
      </Entry>
</List>
</xml>

so in the html only unique departments would be
displayed once:

      Accounting and Finance
      Maths
      Economic History

What's the best way to do this in xslt?

I understand that I can filter on specific names
within the xslt and do conditional
tests but I do not want to have to change the xslt
each time if the departments in the xml change.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards,

Mike

--~--