xsl-list

selecting unique entries from a list

2005-05-05 03:14:35
Dear all,

Hope you can help with this query. I am new to XML/XSLT.

I need to take the following XML and generate an initial web page displaying
only one instance of
each department name.

<xml>
<List>
        <Entry>
                <Session>2004/5</Session>
                <Department>Accounting and Finance</Department>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>

                <Session>2004/5</Session>
                <Department>Accounting and Finance</Department>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
                <Session>2004/5</Session>
                <Department>Maths</Department>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
                <Session>2004/5</Session>
                <Department>Maths</Department>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
                <Session>2004/5</Session>
                <Department>Economic History</Department>
        </Entry>
</List>
</xml>

so in the html only unique departments would be displayed once:

        Accounting and Finance
        Maths
        Economic History

What's the best way to do this in xslt?

I understand that I can filter on specific names within the xslt and do
conditional
tests but I do not want to have to change the xslt each time if the departments
in the xml change.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards,

Mike