xsl-list

Re: DFDL - Data Format Description Language?

2005-06-27 11:26:01
Hi, Dennis,

Try http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/dfdl-wg/

Mulberry is offering a tutorial on it at the 2005 Extreme Markup Languages
conference.

It's basically a way to try to deal with legacy (non-XML) data in such a
way that XML-based systems can make sense of it. To do that, separate
files in the DFDL format describe the legacy content. Put differently,
it's a way to add metadata about legacy data that XML-based systems can
use to interact with the legacy data. If you have a mix of XML and non-XML
data, it makes sense, yes.

And can you say Daffodil? :D

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Dennis Barb <dennisxmlwork(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
06/27/2005 01:00 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
cc

Subject
[xsl] DFDL - Data Format Description Language?

Does anyone know what DFDL is?  (I think that stands
for Data Format Description Language, but I'm not
sure.)

I was told that I should use it to format documents in
a mixed XML and non-XML repository using XSL-FO.
Does that make sense?

Where can I find our more about DFDL? (And how on
earth to people come up with such unpronounceable
acronyms?)

Thanks.
Dennis

--~--