xsl-list

Re: A small programming challenge

2005-06-22 04:19:27
Thanks Dimitre for an enlightening email.. I wish best
for your family ;)

Regards,
Mukul

--- Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 6/22/05, Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hi Dimitre,
 I am keen to solve this problem. But I have a
doubt
.. Do you have a algorithm for this(If yes, please
share it), which I'll implement with XSLT 2.0 ? Or
we
have to also invent a algorithm for this..

I have an algorithm and an XSLT 2.0 solution that
runs successfully
with an available XSLT 2.0 processor and I will make
this solution
available, but I don't want to spoil the fun for
anyone, who'd accept
the challenge to find their own.

This all started a few weeks ago when my 12-year
daughter asked me if
I can write a program that will print all Fibonacci
numbers less than
1000000 (1 million).

I quickly wrote something in XSLT and it was a great
fun to change
some parameters of the problem and see
instantaneously the new result.
She was very curious how the program works and I had
to explain
everything, including what is a sequence and what
recursion is ...

Surprisingly, all these concepts are not difficult
to understand for a
12-year-old.

I can only envy such a girl or a boy, starting their
first programming
experience with a functional language at this age.

I have yet to think how we can best encourage
interest towards
functional programming at an early age -- probably
Jeni or David will
write a nice book for their kids in the next few
years and make it
available to other kids?

This is the best we can do for our children.

Cheers,
Dimitre.

--~--