xsl-list

Re: Anybody know when "transform" became the term for the type ofthing XSLT does?

2005-06-17 05:29:40

  Once some non-technical people I worked with referred to them as 'xsl
  scripts' which was awful and something I had to put right.

why?

why is perl a script and xslt not?

the division between scripting languages and other languages seems blury
at best.

Do other programming languages have this problem. What do you call a
file full of C or java, or (coming closer to home) lisp?

Personally I always use xsl:stylesheet (because I just copy the
boilerplate from somewhere else) and I usually call the thing a
"stylesheet" or a "file". I note that the XSLT2 spec calls things
modules quite often (perhaps pointing the way towards the issues raised
in the recent thread on separate compilation) although it always
prefixes "module" with "stylesheet" so isn't really suggesting xslt
module as an alternative to xslt stylesheet.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-stylesheet-module
[Definition: A stylesheet consists of one or more stylesheet modules,
each one forming all or part of an XML document.]

David