xsl-list

Re: XSL FO keep-together=int Implementation?

2005-06-12 09:05:58

On Jun 12, 2005, at 6:15 AM, G. Ken Holman wrote:

I've been anxious to find implementations of relative keep strength in order to improve the presentation of the annexes of my XSL-FO book, but I haven't seen any yet. I would have liked to help Alex by citing an implementation, but I didn't have anything to contribute to his question.

That's a huge bummer... ...and what I saw when I perused the compliance of many
of the XSL vendors/implementations.

I believe both interpretations of keep-together="always" are allowed given this
sentence  in section 4.8:

If not all of a set of keep conditions of equal strength can be satisfied, then some maximal satisfiable subset of conditions of that strength must be satisfied (together with all break conditions and maximal subsets of stronger keep conditions, if any).

So, an implementation can choose to violate the keep-together if it can't possibly satisfy the condition (e.g. the area will fit on no page) as maximal subset of satisfiable could mean the empty set. In that sense, breaking across pages would be an acceptable solution if the content does not fit. It would be better for interoperability that
always meant always.

-- Alex Milowski "The excellence of grammar as a guide is proportional to the paucity of the
considered."