xsl-list

Re: parameters in XSLT 2.0

2005-06-07 16:49:35

On Jun 7, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

The effect of using "as" on performance may be positive or negative. It may
cause the system to do run-time checks that would otherwise not be
performed. On the other hand, it gives the system compile-time information that may be useful to perform optimizations. I would use it as widely as
possible because it speeds the development cycle and catches bugs more
efficiently, and not worry too much about any effect on performance.

I mean in the specific case of passing a reference vs. creating a temporary tree: is the former by definition more efficient? I've seen you mention on a few occasions that it's expensive to create an unnecessary node (e.g. using xsl:value-of vs. xsl:sequence).

Bruce