xsl-list

AW: xsl:key function help

2005-08-04 03:04:21
Dear Michael,

If you're familiar with DOM, then "/" equates to the Document
node, and "/*"
to the document element (TipDatabase in your case). In
XSLT/XPath 1.0 the document node is called the "root node",
and the term "document element" is not used (I generally
refer to it as the "outermost element" to avoid
confusion: it is not the root of the tree, because it has a parent).

The reason a separate document or root node is needed is that
it can contain comments and processing instructions among its
children, as well as the outermost element.

thanks for the very good explanation. I think I have to go trough the specs
of xpath when I want to do something usefull.

Regards,

David Preuss