xsl-list

document() source

2005-10-29 08:32:25
I have a need to process 2 XML instances in a single piece of XSLT (I'm doing some x doc validation).

I see that in XSLT I can use the document() function BUT it APPEARS that it must retrieve the XML from the file system or a resolvable URI ??

In my case the second instance doc is already 'in memory' (having been retrieved from a database) so I really just want to pass the XML itself as a string.

Also, because the production environment in which the solution will be deployed is (naturally) constrained, getting access to the file system to create a temporary file is unlikely to be possible (plus performance could be an issue for some of the quite large XML docs we use).

Does anyone know whether this is possible using XSLT, or will I need to look at a programmatic (ie. Java) implementation alternative :-(

Fraser.