xsl-list

Re: Using document() for multiple unknown input files

2005-10-28 00:36:27
Huditsch Roman wrote:
Hi list,

I am sure that this question was risen in the past, too, but I couldn't find any useful hint using the archive search.

My use case: I want to search a given string in all XML files contained
in a given directory.
I don't know the amount and names of those XML files.
I've done such a thing before by generating a directory listing and then
reading it by unparsed-text()
followed by some analize-string instructions.
Is there any way to provide a directory to the document() function like
document('./*.xml')?
Or is there a simple and performant way to solve this use case with pure
XSLT?

I would use Apache's Lucene (http://lucene.apache.org/) to index the XML (indexing the content you want to be searched and the file path). Then use the document function to send the search query to a custom URIResolver. The resolver performs the search and either returns the XML you need or references to the files that match.

best,
-Rob