xsl-list

Re: Using absolute path when context item is an atomic value xslt 2.0

2005-10-18 09:51:32
Actually, I can't see why '/' would ever select anything when the
context item is an atomic value, so why doesn't it keep it's pointer
to the original root...

We looked very early on at a design where there was a "context document" as
well as a "context node", and the context document changed when the context
item was set to a node but not when it was changed to an atomic value; we
decided it was so complicated to explain that it was better to take the
simple approach, at the cost of making users do what you illustrate above.

That's a shame as that makes perfect sense to me.  When the context
item is an atomic value the context node could easily be the last
actual node to be processed - conceptually I think that's easier to
understand than having path steps fail because the context node has
switched to atomic value...but at least I know the way I'm doing it is
the only way, which is good.