xsl-list

Re: Using absolute path when context item is an atomic value xslt 2.0

2005-10-18 09:13:11
"andrew" == andrew welch
<andrew(_dot_)j(_dot_)welch(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    andrew> Ok.... but when you do:

    andrew> <xsl:for-each select="1 to 10">

    andrew> The "context node" is an atomic value - how do you
    andrew> anything useful here?  Do you need to do:

    andrew> <xsl:variable name="currentElem" select="."/>
    andrew> <xsl:for-each select="1 to 10"> <xsl:value-of
    andrew> select="$currentElem/whatever"/>

Something like that. You might set a variable
named root to point to the document you are interested in, then you
could use expressions such as $root/path/from/root

    andrew> This seems cumbersome, so I'm probably not using "1 to 10"
    andrew> in the correct way.

It depends upon what you are trying to do. As far as I can see, your
[.] could be replaced by [position < 11], and then you wouldn't need
the 1 to 10 at all.
But maybe I'm misunderstanding your intention.

    andrew> Actually, I can't see why '/' would ever select anything
    andrew> when the context item is an atomic value, so why doesn't
    andrew> it keep it's pointer to the original root.

Suppose there WASN'T an original root? There is no requirement in XSLT
2.0 for there ever to be a document root.
How do you define "original"?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire