xsl-list

RE: Does Saxon support multiple document output?]

2005-10-07 12:37:14
Oh dear, it's a confusing story.

Saxon initially introduced multiple output as an extension to XSLT 1.0
with
an element called saxon:output.

Then XSLT 1.1 came along, and introduced the feature into the language
under
the name xsl:document. So saxon:output was renamed xsl:document. Then XSLT
1.1 was abandoned in favour of going straight to 2.0. At that point I
froze
Saxon 6.x: If you want multiple document output with Saxon 6.5.4, you (a)
use the instruction xsl:document as described in

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xslt11-20010824/#multiple-output

making sure that the stylesheet specifies version="1.1".

But I wouldn't advise doing that; if you want this feature, I'd advise
using
the XSLT 2.0 version.

Later during the development of XSLT 2.0, xsl:document was renamed
xsl:result-document; and later still, a new unrelated xsl:document
instruction was introduced.

So in XSLT 2.0, you use xsl:result-document.

All clear now?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Well, as clear as it gets, anyway....

Thanks for the history lesson.

Personally, I'm firmly entrenched in 2.0. Between xsl:result-document
(which I use to create thousands of HTML files and some very large FO
files) and xsl:analyze-string (which lets me turn plain text input into
structured output) and the functions (especially the date functions but
even just humble upper-case and lower-case), I'm pretty well hooked. I can
write 1.0 transforms if I have to, but I much prefer (and plan to stay
with) 2.0.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services