xsl-list

Re: How can I create a variable with a variable access path?

2005-12-05 17:05:05
Hi,

Ferdinand Soethe <xsl-list(_at_)soethe(_dot_)net> wrote:
For an international application I'd like to store all texts in a
construct like

<xsl:variable name="AllTexts">
  <!-- german language texts -->
  <de>
    <searchButton>Suchen</searchButton>
  </de>

First, in XSLT 1.0 you cannot access result-tree fragments through
XPath, but if you're using XSLT 2.0 you're alright. However, I'd
strongly advice to put all this stuff in an external XML file, such as
;

text.xml:
<text>
   <searchButton   de="Suchen"     en="Search"   />
   <findButton     de="Finden"     en="Find"     />
   <clickButton    de="Drucken"    en="Click"    />
</text>

And then you can use this in your stylesheet as ;

   <xsl:param name="language">de</xsl:param>
   <xsl:variable name="AllTexts" select="document('text.xml')/*" />

   <xsl:value-of select="$AllTexts/searchButton/@*[name()=$language]" />

To further this, to make the XSLT look nicer it would be good to acces
the language texts as ;

   <xsl:value-of select="$AllTexts/searchButton" />

and you could do that by having your languages in separate XML files
as text_en.xml and text_de.xml, and ;

   <xsl:variable name="AllTexts"
select="document(concat('text_',$language,'.xml'))/*" />

and have the format of your text_de.xml (for example) file as ;

<text>
   <searchButton>Suchen</searchButton>
</text>

Many options here, really. Depends on how complex your needs are and so forth.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert