xsl-list

Re: Unable to get text() of node

2006-01-21 12:59:45
On 1/21/06, Liron <magilam(_at_)netvision(_dot_)net(_dot_)il> wrote:
Hi Hugh,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Unfortunetaly "parent::child/text()" didn't work for me and returned empty
nodes. The only solution offered to me that worked so far is "text()[2]",
but like you said, if the text is located before the childname node or in
any other position than the second one, it won't work...
I'm using libxsl to do all the xsl processing

You can use the following stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
  <tree>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="tree/child[childname]"/>
  </tree>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="child">
  <childText>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </childText>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="childname"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>

But I would suggest that you source XML structure should be changed
because when you have:

<node>
   <child/>
   Some text
</node>

All the presentational whitespace surrounding "Some text" is part of
the value (the first carriage return, the indentation and the second
CR), which is not the intention.

Having mixed content like that isn't really suitable for data-centric
XML as this problem has demonstrated - its much better to have an
element for each value, and each element should only contain other
elements, or text, but not both eg:

<node>
   <child/>
   <child>Some text</child>