xsl-list

Re: Re: Language-specific output

2006-02-02 23:41:27
When you perform a stylesheet validation in oXygen it tries to create a
Transformer out of that using the XSLT processor you have configured for
XSLT validation. By default that is Saxon 6.5.5 for XSLT 1.0 and SaxonB
8.6.1 for XSLT 2.0.

For me this is an example of "overvalidation".

How a particular stylesheet module will be used is *essentially
run-time property* of this stylesheet module. Therefore, the problem
is artificially created by performing static validation of a run-time
property.

For me the ideal solution is also the simplest one: perform such kind
of validation (or better just let the XSLT processor do it) when the
user hits the "Run" button. The semantics of this action requires that
the main stylesheet be already known at this time (for example in a
certain IDE this may be the currently displayed stylesheet module).

Hope this helps avoid the confusion I sense in this thread  :o)

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev