xsl-list

RE: Re: Language-specific output

2006-02-02 06:35:56

Now it is true that some stylesheets are not valid by
themselves but are
ok if they are imported or included from other stylesheets.

Yes: I've never felt that was one of the most elegant properties of the
language!

Now the problem is how that situation is handled:

1. One possibility is to allow the user to specify the main
stylesheet through some action

2. Another approach is to analyze all the stylesheets from
the current
project and see how they are related wrt include/import and determine
automatically the main stylesheet.

I think you have to do 1. A common scenario is to have A and B as
alternative entry points with the bulk of the real logic in C: so the user
can invoke A or B as the entry module, and both of these import C.

Even if 2 yields one stylesheet A that imports all the others (say B, C, and
D), that doesn't stop B being a valid entry point.

To take a concrete example, when I format the XSLT spec for publication, B
is the entry point for producing the main published document; A (which
imports B) is an overlay that produces the version with diff markup.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/