xsl-list

Re: Annotations in XSLT

2006-03-05 06:45:46
At 2006-03-05 11:53 +0100, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
examples of how to annotate an XSLT stylesheet?
In XSLT at top-level we can have any additional markup of our own. Would it
be a good idea simply to use xs:annotation, etc., also in XSLT stylesheets?
Or should each one of us invent our own markup for this important task?

If you go to the "Free resources" section of our web site linked from our trailer below, you will find under "XSLT Resources" the XSLStyle documentation environment for XSLT stylesheets.

I've recently been directing the development of very large stylesheet libraries for two customers where there are dozens of stylesheet fragments in a single import tree. The reason for modularization in each case was different, but the flexibility needed in each end result was achieved through a large import tree. For maintenance reasons, documentation was needed to help developers find where in the import tree template rules and top-level elements were found.

XSLStyle traverses an import tree, documents all of the modules of the import tree in fragment order using the embedded documentation which can be any vocabulary (the vocabulary used as supplied is DocBook, thus allowing the off-the-shelf DocBook stylesheets to be used for rendering the documentation), and synthesizes an alphabetized hyperlinked index of all top-level elements at the end of the report.

Through stylesheet association embedded at the top of the file, one need only drag the stylesheet into Internet Explorer to have the entire import tree report revealed in the browser screen. Unfortunately, a bug in Internet Explorer prevents the rendered hyperlinks from working (but the display is correct; I provide some workarounds with parallel files to address this bug), and unfortunately, the XML and XSLT facilities of Firefox are not up to the task of the XSLT used by the stylesheets. Standalone XSLT files (I use the "-a" option with Saxon) work just fine.

I've discussed this more in:

  http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200510/msg00536.html

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com