xsl-list

RE: Select value from document

2006-03-02 07:06:30
If you need repeatedly to find nodes given some value, then keys are the
right answer. You haven't explained your problem well enough to know whether
this applies.

Think of keys as follows: if you want (repeatedly) to find the employee with
a given employee number, then "match" should be a pattern than matches
employees, and "use" should be an XPath expression which, starting from an
employee element, returns the employee number. Give the key an arbitrary
name K, and you can then find the employee whose number is $emp-nr as
key('K', $emp-nr).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: geoff hopkins [mailto:geoffhopkins123(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com]
Sent: 02 March 2006 12:59
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Select value from document

I am processing a xml document to a new xml document.

But at one processing point I need to select a node
containing a specific piece of text in a completly
different position to the current position.

My first thought was keys (is there a better way).

I am currently struggling on how to use them....

this is what I have come up with so far....

def key:
<xsl:key "a" match="data[contains(.,'Name:')] use ?
"/>

using key func
<xsl:value-of select="key('a',? "/>

example of doc

<root>
<data>
Discipline or report series#10</data>
<data>SOFTWARE DESIGN REPORT
Document number#12</data>
<data>SWD 1111
Issue#13</data>
<data>13
Title#15</data>
<data>        Name: DSSALD
Authors#20</data>
<data>Summary#60</data>
<data></data>
<data></data>
<data>This process is intended to:</data>
<data></data>
<data>Generate the final high or low idle N3 select
signal to be used throughout the control laws.</data>
<data></data>
<data>Generate a flag to indicate when the engine is
above/below idle.</data>
<data></data>
<data></data>
<data></data>