xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Expression in XPath

2006-03-06 14:30:16
Dariusz,

At 09:03 AM 3/3/2006, you wrote:
Because I have seperated the XPath expression completely from the code. The target was to get a clearly result sending just one expression. Then, it is much easier to maintain the code and or to expand it. If it is not possible, then it is ok. I can run a kind of 'check' again within the methods, but actualy this is what I wanted to avoid.

Ah, I see. Then I'm afraid you're up against the limits of XPath 1.0, which was never intended as a full-fledged processing or even query language. But as Mike showed, you can do what you want in XPath 2.0. If running 2.0 is an available option for you, you'd find in general that your code-separation goals are much easier to achieve. XPath 2.0 makes it easy to do many things that are difficult in XPath 1.0, and possible to do many things otherwise impossible.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez