xsl-list

RE: [xsl] API for XSL

2006-03-07 14:20:16
Hello Michael

Here is an example:
http://pdml.netfolder.com/framework/window/src/window.php?obj=contextView&xm
l=..%2f..%2fcontextView%2fdemo%2fcontextView.xml

You can really navigate this link if you use IE 6 or firefox 1.07 (I havn't
tested it with 1.5)

The xml document to be transformed is referred by the "xml" parameter.
The component definition includes the XSLT stylesheet for the
transformation. This component definition is embedded in the window.php. In
fact window.php has nothing to do with php. I renamed it with the php
extension because the html doesn't work. Don't get confused by the "php"
extension I could as well have renamed it with a different name. No
processing occurs on the server side, only the client side.

Now if you do not like the default look and feel, you can set other
parameters to generate different code. This is one of the premises of
generative computing.

Hence, in the following URL I set a different contest by adding other
parameters like:

Header, footer, both set to "no" to tell the xSLT stylesheet not to generate
the code for the header ands footer.

Here we go:
Without header:
http://pdml.netfolder.com/framework/window/src/window.php?obj=contextView&xm
l=..%2f..%2fcontextView%2fdemo%2fcontextView.xml&header=no

without header and footer:
http://pdml.netfolder.com/framework/window/src/window.php?obj=contextView&xm
l=..%2f..%2fcontextView%2fdemo%2fcontextView.xml&header=no

without header and footer but with a label displayed:
http://pdml.netfolder.com/framework/window/src/window.php?obj=contextView&xm
l=..%2f..%2fcontextView%2fdemo%2fcontextView.xml&header=no&footer=no&label=y
es

etc, etc,

All the parameter but the xml param are passed to the XSLT stylesheet and
indicates what to include or omit in the generated HTML resultant model.

So what I am looking for is something that can take parameters packaged in a
URL and pass them to an XSLT transformation engine on the server side. That
way, a web application can set a particular context and this makes the
stylesheet more adaptive to diverse application needs. Hence, renforce the
re-use of this stylesheet like I would do with a classical .net or java
component by setting properties. The contrast here is that the stylesheet
act as a code generator and creates different code builds for different
usages.

Hope I was clear enough because a lot of concept not usually found in the
XML world are present in this example.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin