xsl-list

RE: [xsl] API for XSL

2006-03-08 16:44:32
Hello Wendel,

Thanks for the pointer to an XSLT environment implemented in Python, I'll
check that.

I searched in cocoon documentation how to pass parameters without too much
success. There is probably a need for a book about cocoon Wendell ;-)
Anyway, I found a potential answer by googling. The following list message
mention a way to do it (ref:
http://www.xslt.com/html/xsl-list/2005-11/msg00816.html ) I will investigate
this potential solution.

Now about my comment on Cocoon, I know that on lists, the noise to signal
ration is definitively and unfortunately in favor of noise. My comment
wasn't about parameter passing because I got a fairly good intuition that it
is probably implemented in some server side XSLT engines like, for instance,
Cocoon (Confirmed by your helpful reply). My comment was more on the fact
that all these environments seems to omit any process partitioning. For
instance if 90% of the browsers accessing my server are XSLT enabled, I want
the transformation process to occur on the client side for 90% of the
requesters and to occur on the server side for 10% of the others not having
any XSLT processing capabilities. So, I you tell me that I was wrong in my
perception and that Cocoon can indeed do that, you made my day and I will
happily stand corrected.

Be assured that have nothing against cocoon. I am only trying to find an off
the shelf solution without having to implement the solution myself.

My remaining question would now be: Do any of you know an environment able
to partition the XSLT process on the client or the server on the basis of
the client capabilities or on the basis of any pre-defined server side
profiles of client capabilities.

Two potential ways to do it:
a) the server injects an XSLT processing instruction in the replied
document. The stylesheet URI is specified in a separate setting than the
original document (i.e. the transformed XML document).
B) The server does nothing if the client is recognized as having XSLT
processing capabilities and simply send the XML document which should, in
that case, include a pre-defined XSLT processing instruction. Otherwise,
perform a transformation, server side, using the very same embedded
processing instruction as an indicator of which stylesheet to use for the
transform.

Can cocoon or any other environment do that? If yes, please, don't leave me
in the dark and I would be grateful to know which one.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin