xsl-list

[xsl] copying a node

2006-03-07 16:44:33
Hello List,

I have a simple problem but I'm not sure whether xslt is the proper tool.

I have thousands of XML files of very similar structure strictly adhering to a
common document type. All documents have a node that I need to copy together
with the attributes and the children and the attributes to a new node with a
different value in on attribute. The reulting document must be the same plus
that extra node.

Example:

the following file ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?>
<filter name="ARMCheckTest">
        <group section="mini">
        </group>
        <group section="basic">
                <test name="testCheck1"></test>
                <test name="testCheck2"></test>
        </group>
</filter>

... needs to be transformed into

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?>
<filter name="ARMCheckTest">
        <group section="mini">
        </group>
        <group section="basic">
                <test name="testCheck1"></test>
                <test name="testCheck2"></test>
        </group>

        <group section="basic-alt">
                <test name="testCheck1"></test>
                <test name="testCheck2"></test>
        </group>
</filter>

That is the node "group" with the attribute section="basic" needs to be
duplicated and the value for section must be modified.

I can think of a couple of implementations using xsl:foreach or xsl:if but I'm
sure I would come up with something alittle too complicated. What's the easiest
implemetation to do this?

thanks

jacques