xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT question on xsl:variable and/or xsl:param usage with user inputs

2006-03-09 05:33:24
I am trying to assign a user-input value to a variable. I know that
variable values can not be changed within a given template, but I am
still not sure if what I am trying to do is possible or not?

Answer: Yes, it is possible, but it may not be in the way you are trying to do
it. You haven't given enough information for us to understand the context. What
is your transformation environment, e.g., server-based, browser-based?

Harkening back to a long thread earlier this week and several other questions
along that line, I get the impression that browser-based transformations are
confusing a lot of newcomers to XML and XSLT.

Several years ago I wrote parts of an ASP application by including stylesheets
in the body of web pages, building DOM documents using Javascript and the
user's input to various user controls on the page, and using Javascript to
transform and re-display parts of the page in <iframe> elements (think
Paleolithic AJAX), but it took a while to work out.

So, tell us more about your environment and you will likely get helpful answers.
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email