xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Advocate for C# .NET + 100% XSLT Processing

2006-03-11 10:30:29
Hey Karl,

I'm glad to see you have come to your conclusions. This is EXCELLENT! I find it weird when people link back to posts I made. Its cool! Just weird.

All weirdness set aside, that post was made almost three years ago. A lot has changed since then speaking in terms of available technologies. But the general notion of using XSLT as the primary driver for your web-based applications is still the same. Its just been spread out across a broader surface area by passing the data to the client for transformation. [see: http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/2005/12/finally_someone_1.html]

Take a look at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7704. While I have kept things EXTREMELY low key since, a ton of work has been done in this area since. The mentioned project, WWULF (pronounced wolf) which stands for WorldWide Ubiquarian Lingua Franca (maybe I shouldn't tell people what it stands for... I think it kind of scares folks a little.. :)) has continued to be refined, developed, and integrated with other technologies I am working on, again very lowkey. The follow-up post to the post linked above is here > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7855. While that particular series of posts isn't finished, a lot of the background work necessary to make all of this a reality has continued. Russ and I both have a tendency to fill our schedules to their maximum, and I have a tendency to push things even further than that. We will be picking that series up again when we have a few more pieces complete.

In the mean time, if you want to contact me offline, I would be happy to share with you some of the things we're working on that will fit quite nicely into your drive to push away from the complexities of the .NET UI and into something MUCH more simple yet MUCH more powerful.

Enjoy your day!

Karl Stubsjoen wrote:

Yes, the IHttpHandler approach is an excellent approach and indeed
*ditches* the presentational aspect of ASP.NET nicely ; )
You can achieve similar by Killing the HTML code on an ASPX page and
then just knocking out the Page_Load event and othter auto-generated
code.  Infact, I've devised my own event driven model based on the
idea that every web project will probably flow through a MAIN
processing template then stub out to PAGE level processing.  Keeping
this "on-topic" I have also created generic XSL stylesheets that are
automatically included at the base level application code, but then is
replaced by more specific page level XSL stylesheets.  These
stylesheet inherit from a base stylesheet, well actually inherit from
a site stylesheet and then the base stylesheet.  Simple, yet genius.

Karl..