xsl-list

Re: [xsl] creating tags around a string

2006-04-18 10:35:50
On 4/18/06, Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

This is probably why Jon also urges that you push the problem back
upstream. The people creating this data are in a much better position
to tag it fully and correctly to begin with.

Yup, Wendell guessed correctly here.  I have a habit of writing a bit
more than necessary and clarifying a little less than needed.  The
editors, if their titles are correct, are the best bet at determining
the actual first and last names.  Creating an automated method will
increase in complexity drastically as you attempt to improve accuracy.
 (Hmmm, I don't know if there's been any AI work with names)  Someone
familiar with the organization will probably be able to decide what
level of automation is appropriate here, much more than any of us on
the list.

Michael suggestion to automate for common cases and deal with the rest
by hand is a good one.

I can certainly sympathize with your plight.  I'm working on some
up-conversions now, where I essentially look for common patterns and
consider anything else an unknown.

Jon Gorman