xsl-list

RE: [xsl] xml diff question

2006-04-19 00:40:06

Hi,
    Thanks Mike. Thought that would be the case (use a tree view to display
the differences as you have described). The first one would ofcourse be the
easier of the two but comes with the problem I have described.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

cheers,
prakash

                      "Michael Kay"

                      <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)c         To:
<xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>

                      om>                      cc:      (bcc:
omprakash.v/Polaris)
                                               Subject: RE: [xsl] xml diff
question
                      04/19/2006 12:58

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to xsl-list

Subject: [xsl] xml diff question

What's the best way to display the differences.

Well, it rather depends on what you want to do. There are two use cases
where I use differencing and the requirements are completely different:

(a) Creating a version of a narrative document (like the XSLT 2.0 spec) in
which changes since the previous version are highlighted: see

 http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-xslt20-20051103/Overview-diff.html

I think Norm's tool was produced with this kind of application in mind
(though in the XSLT spec, I maintain the change markup by hand).

(b) Comparison of test results with reference results to find cases where
the results are different. Here I find that the Stylus Studio differencing
tool works pretty well for me: it gives you the tree views of both
documents
side-by-side, allows you to view all nodes or only those that differ or
only
those that are the same, and to drill down into either tree to see the
detail of the differences.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

--~--

POLARIS, THE LEADER IN SPECIALITY APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT :

Polaris has been awarded the Leader in the category of "Speciality Application
Development" among the Top 100 global Companies from Cyber Media Publications
for the Year 2006.

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent
for the intended recipient(s) only.
If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to
you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its
attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in