xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Is this strategy for runtime fixed-width->xml conversions worthwhile?

2006-04-29 13:08:51
Ok, this is interesting (I'll have to read this fully later), but let me
ask some follow-on questions:

If I'm restricted to XSLT 1.0, how viable is my approach?  I'm guessing
if my input is truly "fixed", with no repeating groups or conditional
transformation blocks, this should work fine.  If I have either
repeating groups or conditional transformation blocks, that makes it a
little more complicated, but I'm not sure how much more.

This article was written around the Saxon 8.1 timeframe.  Would this
article change significantly if it was updated to reflect more recent
Saxon releases?

Concerning features of Saxon, I'm not certain exactly what
"schema-aware" means.  Does that imply less schema-related functionality
than in XSLT 1.0, like namespaces (unlikely, I would think), or does it
simply refer to the schema validation features?  I can't find a clear
statement about this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 2:43 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Is this strategy for runtime
fixed-width->xml conversions worthwhile?

You might be interested in

http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml04/papers/111/mhk-paper.html

to see how far this kind of approach can take you. What you
are proposing is much simpler. As you say, it could be done
in a variety of ways, but it's certainly not overkill to use
XSLT for this.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/