xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...

2006-06-04 17:52:57

I do not comment often, but this thread caught my eye.

PDF is great as a page description format and as a web-based electronic
document interchange format for "finished" documents.  PDF isn't great (and
isn't intended, I suspect), to be editable, so its not great for "unfinished"
documents or for electronic content that you want to edit or incorporate into a
new document.

Apache FOP and XSL-FO are also great at turning XML into a PDF, *considering*
that both are free.  Apache FOP is not a full implementation of XSL-FO, so in
this sense, you can't do everything you want to do with it, but, the website
states clearly what is supported and what is not supported and, it is free, the
latter point making it extremely valuable, IMHO.  If you are trying to use
Apache FOP to move PDF documents to high-end printing (which we do not do),
then perhaps it falls short (I don't know), but if you are simply trying to
publish PDF to the web, then the PDF output is more than acceptable.

Microsoft Word format is good at editing and rendering in MS Word (I'm a
long-time Word Perfect user and prefer Word Perfect, but reality is that we
have to use MS Word). Editing is MS Word's primary purpose.

MS Word and PDF, as document formats, simply aren't meant do to the same thing.
 As a result, more often that not, if PDF is good at A, the MS Word is not good
at A and visa versa with respect to B, C, D, E . . . etc.

We looked for a long time for a tool that could use our existing XSL-FO
stylesheets (the ones we use to move XML to PDF) to convert the same XML to
RTF.  That is, we wanted to do this:

XML[1] --> XSL-FO[1] --> Apache FOP --> PDF
XML[1] --> XSL-FO[1] --> ?Tool? --> RTF

We haven't found that tool.

We also looked for tools that would convert PDF to RTF.  While you can find
plenty of tools that will do this conversion, the output still isn't any better
to edit than the original PDF.  Again, as document formats, PDF and Word
weren't meant to do the same thing.  Since PDF is good at viewing, Word-to-PDF
works reasonably well (there are sometimes problems with pages not converting
properly on large, complex documents), but since PDF is not meant for editing,
PDF-to-Word (or RTF) simply doesn't work (if the output you seek is meant for
meaningful editing).

As a result, we started working with Microsoft's WordML to do this:

XML[1] --> XSL-FO[1] --> Apache FOP --> PDF
XML[1] --> XSL-FO[1] --> Our Tool --> WordML

We found that it was easier (indeed, much easier) to do this:

XML[1] --> XSLT --> WordML

While the latter is easier, it does not help us re-use and leverage our XSL-FO
stylesheets, which is something we would like to do.

<Robert>
My point, which was perhaps not clearly made, is that people do not use
PDF an an end result document format while keeping an XML source.
</Robert>

We do.  :-)

While it is true that people pass around the PDF (or Word, or Word Perfect,
etc.) document and are not likely to pass around the associated XML, we do the
following:

XML[1] ---> HTML (or XHTML)
XML[1] ---> PDF
XML[1] ---> WordML

. . . and then we make all of the formats available.

Currently, we have to maintain:

XSLT[a] for HTML
XSL-FO for PDF
XSLT[b] for WordML

. . . which is not ideal.  Good news is that the XML[1] input is always the
same and this has some value.

My $0.02 for what its worth.

Thanks,

Todd
===========================
Winchel "Todd" Vincent III
<xmlLegal> http://www.xmllegal.org/
Phone : 404.822.4668
Fax     : 770.216.1633
Email : Todd(_dot_)Vincent(_at_)xmllegal(_dot_)org

This message including any attachments and links to outside resources contains
confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose and is
protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this
message.  Disclosing, copying, or distributing this message, or the taking of
any action based on it, is prohibited without permission.