xsl-list

RE: [xsl] url encoding gets wrong with åöä?

2006-06-07 04:05:20
This thread seems to have gone off at a complete tangent.

(a) There are any number of editors that handle iso-8859-1 on Windows, or at
any rate cp-1252 which is a good enough approximation for present purposes.
This isn't the issue.

(b) Calling an extension function to do URL encoding is a perfectly
reasonable thing to do if you want to achieve something that the standard
XSLT-generated encoding doesn't do. However, the suggestion that the
encoding used by the extension function depends on the encoding of the
stylesheet containing the call to the extension function seems pretty
implausible.

In fact, the one-argument form of java.net.URLEncoder.encode() uses the
default encoding of the platform, and is deprecated for that reason. There
is a two-argument form in which the second argument is the encoding you want
to use, for example "UTF-8" or "ISO-8859-1". The documentation of this
method states clearly:

Note: The  World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation states that UTF-8 should
be used. Not doing so may introduce incompatibilites.

None of this gets to the root of the problem, which is why percent-encoding
the URL using UTF-8 encoding, as specified in all the standards, isn't
working in your case. In general, it's a good idea to understand a problem
before you start groping around in a blind search for a workaround.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/