xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Using IE's CC (Conditional Comments) inside an XSL file.

2006-06-18 06:52:33
M. David Peterson wrote:
Actually, I just noticed you had this set inside of a template...

EVEN BETTER!!! Thanks! I plan to take advantage of your solution (e.g. replace mine with yours :D)

Glad you like it :-)

I used a template because I needed to insert multiple CCs at different places in my XSLT, and duplicating the admittedly rather arcane code necessary would have been a pain for my client in terms of long-term maintenance, particularly as that is carried out by another person.

FWIW, the template has been in live use (server-side) on the websites of 34 UK local radio stations for several months now and has survived things like a switch from Xalan to Saxon, so I think I'm safe in saying that it works. (A former colleague at another company has also been using it successfully.) You can see its output in several places in the source of (to pick a station at random) <http://www.radiobroadland.co.uk/> where it's used not only to import IE-specific stylesheets but also to apply the hackery needed to get PNG Alpha transparency working in IE < 7. (Yes, I know having styles in the page rather than an external stylesheet is bad form, but it's currently the only way to deal with the arbitrary image selection the CMS allows. Anyway, I'm more disgusted by the lousy JavaScript inserted by the visitor tracking and ad serving people :-)

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons